Friday, March 14, 2014

Favorite quote:

"If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn"
-Michael J. Fox

This is my favorite quote, I've had it saved on my phone for quite sometime. One of my biggest struggles in dealing with looping a class and having students that I had last year is trying to disregard what I know about how my kids learn and adapting to my new co-teachers teaching styles, which doesn't always agree with what I know works with certain children.  Their ideas are amazing and will prepare our class more for the beginning kindergarten with new teachers that aren't familiar with their skill set or personalities as of yet, so I agree that breaking them out of their comfort sometimes is necessary.... But... Well let me give an example-

I know one teacher does not like the way I read stories. I am well aware that stopping (asking questions) to make sure that they are paying attention and learning is important, but for some reason when you stop they lose focus even more. One or two might understand a question, but the next three might panic after being asked a question and say something random or that they don't know.  When I know that they know the answer!  Or the class loses focus as a whole, one comment can set them off into a fit of giggles (with me especially) and then the purpose of the book gets forgotten. So I prefer to read with as much energy and pizazz as I would if I was reading to my three year old godson in my living room, and then discuss it afterwards.  Which is not warmly received by another teacher, a teacher also equipped with a reading certificate who I respect because she is always on the ball and she knows her stuff.  Her discussing not liking the way I read to the class confuses me and leaves me torn and discourages me from wanting to read with them (this is also the first complaint I've ever received), even though I know the kids enjoy it and take more from it...  
     I love my class, they zone out & get nervous very easily, but last year half of them couldn't even sit through a story without crying or needing to hold a train. I know getting into character helps them remain focused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment