Saturday, May 10, 2014

Birth!

            I don't have that much experience with childbirth, I've never seen one outside of television & I do not remember much from when my younger brother was born, aside from my dad did my hair while my mom was in the hospital and it's probably best I don't share that memory! I've asked my mom about the day I was born a few times, and the trouble she endured along the way, so I'll share that.
            I spent eight months in my mothers womb with multiple fibroids. The fibroids threatened my life daily, and caused my mother to be on bed rest for three months in the hospital. Unfortunately, due to the fibroids, my mom felt labor pains during all eight months of pregnancy. On the morning I was born, before even giving her an epidural, the doctors cut my mom open. From what I've been told, my dad was furious. This whole story makes me scared to even have children, granted that was in the eighties and hopefully doctors aren't so careless now, but still... Yikes! I was born on October 4, two hours after my mom's water broke, a month early, at six pounds. Shortly after I was found to have an extremely high fever that wouldn't go away and was placed in an incubator for 21 days in the ICU because they thought that I had meningitis. Still not sure what was wrong or causing the fevers, but the doctors told my parents that I was going to die. Almost 27 years later and here I am alive and well, clearly born with my mother's (& father's, but he didn't deliver me after being sliced open without medication so I am giving my mom a teensy bit more credit in this department) strong spirit.
           I look forward to having kids as much as the next woman, but that story is scary and often makes me consider everything but wanting to give birth myself. My birthing story is really scary. Just the thought of my mother going through that, then being told that her child was going to die, makes me wish I could take back all of my unappreciative teenage years. My goodness! The fibroids could have killed me in the womb, fighting them and losing could have effected my life and development in any number of ways, the entire situation is insanely nerve wrecking to me. And all I did was listen to the story a few times. Giving birth is such a sensitive issue, any number of things could go wrong both internally and in the hospital or space you deliver your child in.


             I chose to learn more about child birth in India. Apparently in the past, India has had issues with both maternal and child safety during labor. According to the article I read the issues in the past have been due to women not giving birth in institutions or with people qualified to take care of them during this crucial period. This is due to information and lack there of due to social class. Which is typical in most places. There are people here that have OBGYN visits every month of pregnancy and people less informed about how important checking on their health as well as the babies health is every month or even more frequently depending on the situation. I even saw a television program once about a woman who gave birth in a Mcdonald's bathroom and did not even know that she was pregnant. Leading me to believe, she did not feel the need to visit a single doctor in at least nine months. Which is very scary. From the interview, not to judge her by looks alone please don't think that I am doing that, she did not seem very well off both financially and educationally. I assumed she didn't know or care to find out simply because she did not know any better. Which is what I believe the problem with India and other countries where so many people can fall under the radar simply because they don't have the information or funds available to do better.

Reference-

1.  http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2013/safe-childbirth-india.aspx

3 comments:

  1. Sherria,
    It sounds like you were a miracle baby and I am so glad you are here today and living a good life. There are so many scary situations that occur with pregnancy. I believe with being in the field we are in we are much more aware of what can go wrong than the average person might be aware of, but at the same time we are fortunate to know so much so we can properly take care of ourselves when we are pregnant. I was very interested when I read how India does not provide much education in this area and this to me does not seem right. I think education is one of the most important pieces. Thank you for sharing your stories this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherria,

    I enjoyed reading about your birthing experience. I am thanking God for your life and can totally relate to your story. I was born a premature baby and weighed 2 pounds at birth. I spent 3 months in the NICU getting healthy and strong. Though my mom did not have fibroid tumors she went in for a check because of back pain and was told that she was dilated and I was coming now! They advised my Dad and Mom not to get their hopes up because I would not make it, but thanks to God here I am today! I was born in the late 70's and am very appreciative of all the things they did then to keep me alive and am so impressed at all the progress they have made in terms of premature babies. I agree with the statement that there are so many things that can go wrong even in a hospital setting. I think that the birthing process is so different in many countries not necessarily a poor experience just different, some based on a lack of knowledge, others based on religion or culture. I have a friend who birthed her first child in one of the Asian countries and her second child in America and she definitely was grateful for the American process because she said the language barrier alone made the birth process difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sherria!
    That certainly was a scary birth story. However the viewpoint I took on it was that you and your mother are fighters. Your story speaks to the love, strength, and bond between mother and child. The human body is resilient even at such a young age. I couldn't help but to think of the theory of multidirectional development. You are a shining example of this theory. The gains and loses that occurred during your mother's pregnancy and your subsequent birth played a major role in your survival during critical periods and your thriving in the long run.
    Your story also speaks to the developments that have been made over many decades in the procedures for labor and delivery and caring for the mother and child. Many of these advances come in relation to the increased knowledge we now have of prenatal development

    ReplyDelete